Sunday, February 27, 2011

I'd Like to Thank The Academy

Wow!  This is such an honor.  First, I'd like to thank the Academy for this award.  I'd like to thank all my theatre teachers and acting coaches starting way back in elementary school; Jackie Capps, Pam Eakin, Heather Bryson, David LeMaster, Rhona Leber, and Ed Muth just to name a few.  You helped fuel the flames of my passion for this craft and have made me a better actor.  I want to thank my wonderful husband, Dennis.  It's not always easy to love a crazy actor, but you've always been there for me and supported me as I reached for the stars.  You always told me I could do anything and never doubted me.  I love you and I wouldn't be where I am today without you.  I want to thank my Mom for never telling me that I shouldn't act and never telling me to "get a real job."  I love you.  Thanks to the director for helping me achieve such a performance and to the casting director and producers for trusting me with this role.  Thank you so much.

Yes, I've had my Oscar acceptance speech written in my head since I was thirteen.  Whoopie Goldberg hosted the Academy Awards that year, and at the end of the show, she looked in the camera as if she was speaking directly to me and said, "This is for all the young people out there who want to become actors.  If you are dedicated and work hard enough you can follow your dreams and perhaps someday be on this stage," or something to that effect.  It was epic.

A few years ago, I visited a friend in Los Angeles.  It was my first time in Hollywood and it was Oscar season.  I was doing the tourist thing next to the Kodak Theater, when I stumbled upon a free exhibit about the history of the Awards.  To my surprise and delight, at the end of the exhibit, you got to hold an Oscar.  A real, honest to god, Academy Award.  I nearly feinted!  I waited in line with butterflies in my stomach.  My palms were sweaty.  I had to keep reminding myself not to cry in front of a room full of strangers when my turn finally came.  All of the people in front of me just picked it up, goofed off, then moved on.  I, however, took the time to practice my speech and prepare for the day when it would be my turn at the podium.  I took hold of Oscar, steadied myself, and began my speech.  Quiet fell over the crowd of people waiting behind me.  All eyes were trained on me.  And when I finished my speech, a round of applause exploded from everyone watching.  I had given Oscar his proper respect.



My Precious.  Someday you will be mine.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter